- If you thought the micro-craze for curling following the Winter Olympics was odd … last night on ESPN2: Dominoes. Guess it was either that or show a Stanley Cup game. I think they made the right choice.
- Why do I always miss the best sales? Earlier this week, Fred Kropp of Madison, WI, bought an 8-foot tall fiberglass pink flamingo from the city of Oshkosh for $715. “The city posted the flamingo for sale for $2 after police picked it up a few weeks ago as found property that was never claimed.” Memo to self: Start hanging out at police auctions. (And yes, I do believe this is the largest such creature since Divine shuffled off this mortal coil.)
- Krispy Kreme is having trouble finding the sweet spot, revenues were down about 24 percent in the first quarter “as the company’s efforts to close stores and shed its ownership interest in various franchisees took hold.” But at least they reported something: The company is still delaying the release of its 1Q financials “because efforts to get its books straight for prior periods have consumed much of its time.” And just FYI: The most read and visited item on Collateral Damage — The Krispy Kreme Burger, I wish I was making this up. About twice as much traffic as the runner up: Why DC and Marvel Comics both suck. Although Why pay a professional when you can hire an amateur is making a strong play for 2nd. Why ask why?
- Best press release title of the year: How Stores are Secretly Using Barry Manilow to Rob You. Quote: “In supermarkets, an astounding 60 to 70 percent of consumer purchases are unplanned. Discover five (5) top retailer marketing tactics that lead to these unplanned purchases (including Barry Manilow and his ilk), and nine (9) key steps consumers can take to avoid getting bamboozled.” OK, ya got me.
- If disc jockeys are DJs and video jockeys are VJs, are podcast jockeys PJs? Mrs. CD wants to know.