Turner is coughing up $2M to pay for all the silliness.
Allow me to give a little post-mortem on the events.
- Was it worth it? For Aqua Teen Hunger Force, yes. For TBS, no. This little niche show will get a big boost. Turner takes a momentary hit but comes out looking better for $2M.
- Was it intentional? No. If it had Turner would have been a lot better prepared to respond.
- Did the Boston cops do anything wrong? Not really. As laughable as it may seem to others, the police got a report from a reliable source of an unidentified electronic object on the side of a bridge. It was 9 AM and the thing wasn’t lit up so they had to treat it as a bomb. Or did you want to be the person who had to go take it down without knowing what it was? That first report was followed by reports of other unknown items, which made it look worse not better.
- Was it funny? As things turned out, yes. Up until Mrs. Collateral Damage sent me an email identifying the Mooninite, though, it wasn’t. She works two blocks from where one of first devices was found, so I was a little nervous until she clued me in.
- Was it stupid placement? OH YES. I am no fan of false alarms and this was the biggest one this city has ever seen. The city was truly at risk when all those emergency workers had to be diverted to what some are calling a hoax. It wasn’t a hoax. That involved knowingly trying to decieve. They didn’t do that.
- Are the hair guys insensitive idiots? I don’t know about that. Their arrest was a case of the officials wanting a scalp. It was an absurd moment and I understand their reacting to it as such. Was that exactly the wrong thing to do from a PR standpoint? OH YES. From a comedy POV it was pretty good, though. Kudos to whichever reporter thought to phrase a question in a form of a ’70s Hair Styles issue.
- What was the dumbest quote? The Globe had some civilian saying that he/she saw it, thought it could be a bomb but didn’t report it to anyone. Thanks for caring.
- Will we remember it three weeks from now? No.
- Did I enjoy my three-minutes on the edge of the media whirl-wind? Yep. I was guilty of not laughing nearly enough when I answered questions, though.
Here’s me on CNN:
Three things…1) Contrary to the way things seem to usually work, you have more hair than you have had previously! 2) Only the second time (I think) I’ve seen you in a jacket and tie. Oh, and….3) You came across great!
It was nice to see a different talking head on TV. You done good. Oh yes and thanks for clarifying this up for me too!
Am I happy you posted this clip? Yes. 🙂
It was going downhill prior to the Boston incident:
WHY ADULT SWIM FAILS
That’s a really good analysis. BRING BACK SPACE GHOST!!!